Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Jamaica Pond

Monday I ran 8 laps around Jamaica Pond.  Those laps plus to and from Parker's playgroup site was 13 miles. The reason I ran a crazy eight times around the pond was because I recently learned that Bill Rodgers - yes THE Bill Rodgers - did a lot of his miles training for the Boston Marathon here.  In fact, I came across his running log from 1973 online, and get this: he ran 543 miles in the 31 days of January '73.  One month.  543 miles.  Almost ALL of those miles around Jamaica Pond.  That's cool (and a bit insane - I'm sure he'll admit this).  Check it out here if you want to read more of his running log.  I thought about him for most of my run.  30 years ago, what was it like?  If I ever meet him, I'll definitely ask him.




A lot of No this and No that but it's a very friendly place with lots of walkers and joggers

Not completely frozen over, yet signs still are needed to prevent people from skating on the pond
Something interesting is that in the late 1800s there existed a Jamaica Pond Ice Company, which harvested and sold Jamaica Pond ice.  Check it out here.


A great thing about running around Jamaica Pond is that you have 2 surface options: paved and dirt
So come run some miles around Jamaica Pond!  It's 1.5 miles around (actually1.45 according to my GPS watch, if you're a mileage junkie like me) and in the warmer months there are public bathrooms at the boathouse.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment